Have you ever wanted to learn a new language to help you travel the world or gain new career opportunities? See below the most spoken languages of the world in an infographic.
Did you know?
- The Ethnologue catalogue of world languages, which is one of the best linguistic resources, currently lists 6909 living languages. About 6% of them have more than a million speakers each and altogether account for 94% of the world population, read more
This infographic prepared by Zamenhof translations shows you the 10 languages which are spoken in the most countries around the world.
In the lead of spoken languages is, of course, Chinese (Mandarin )followed by Spanish and English. In the top ten, you can find languages like Hindi, French, Arabic, Portuguese, German, Russian, Bengali, and Portuguese.
Looking at the world wide web it is interesting to know how many pages are present in which language.
- 55% of all pages on the internet use English
- 6% of all pages on the internet use Russian
- 5% of all pages on the internet use German
- 5% of all pages on the internet use Japanese
- 28% are shared among all other pages on the internet
There are also some interesting facts which we can learn about other languages.
The USA – The United States of America has no official language
AFRICA – Africa is the home of more than 2000 languages
HEBREW – Hebrew is the earliest recorded written language which dates far back as 587BC
TAMIL – is a language with about 247 letters
RUSSIAN – The Russian language only dates back as far as 11 century
Below the infographic, you can see all the details too of facts about most spoken languages.
Cost of Learning a Language
Curious about what it could cost to learn any of these languages?
As a guide, we calculated the number of hours and cost per hour required to learn each language. As you can see, the difficulty of a language doesn’t mean it costs more to learn. Even though it takes more hours to learn Malay than say, Portuguese, its cheap hourly cost makes it an economic choice.
For those of you who are really ambitious and don’t mind spending money, Chinese is one of the most difficult languages and is by far the most expensive to learn!